Translate

Monday, November 25, 2019

Speaking Back to God by Being Thankful

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
Kari Farnell



We all know that God can speak through Scriptures as we read them, but God speaks through Scriptures we have memorized as well. God wants us to speak back to him through prayer and thanksgiving. I am going to relate a story that shows this idea.

On a bright May morning in 1993, I underwent a scheduled c-section to deliver my 10lb. 14 oz. baby boy. I am a Type 1 diabetic and this was my second baby. Having given birth to his sister through an emergency c-section and with him weighing in at a suspected 8+ lbs at 35 ½ weeks, the doctors had convinced me to undergo another c-section.  Because I had requested to be fully under for the c-section, my husband watched through the surgery door. Time was of the essence because I had been given anesthesia to put me to sleep and the longer it took to get the baby out, the more anesthesia he would have in his system as well. Once the opening was made, the baby ended up being so large that he got stuck coming out. Once he was born, his initial APGAR score was 4; however, his second APGAR reading was 8, so all seemed well.

always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father.  Ephesians 5:20
Kari Farnell

At that time (and perhaps still), diabetics were not typically allowed to go past 35-36 weeks before giving birth due to complications that could arise. Earlier in my pregnancy, one of the doctors decided to change my due date and make it a week later than the original date. In my gut, I felt this was an issue, but wasn’t going to doubt the doctor. As it turns out, I was right to have thought it an issue. Shortly after my son’s birth, someone overheard one of the doctors state that my placenta had already started to deteriorate and my son may not have survived another day in the womb.


Again all seemed well despite the prior problems and issues, until his 4th day. It was on the 4th day, while still at the hospital, his doctor came in and said, “Well, you must know if I’m here, it’s not good news.” The doctor then began to explain that my son had suddenly become septic and was having difficulty sustaining his breathing. They had tried many things that were not working and they were going to have to fly him to Baltimore. I was devastated, but the first thing to enter my mind was in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18


This Scripture, which I had heard many times before, was an immediate thought (almost an audible voice) and a definite word from God. My mind vacillated between this verse, and thinking “this can’t be happening”. I immediately phoned everyone I could think of and got everyone involved in praying. Meanwhile, I sat there THANKING God for the 4 days I had had with my son; for the doctors and nurses; for the situation; and for anything else that came to mind. 

To shorten a long story, I will just say that everything did turn out well. My son came home after 2 weeks in the NICU in Baltimore and has had no related issues since. I thank God for that whole experience. I thank God for friends and family that prayed. I thank God for all of my family that are whole and healthy. I thank God in the bad times as well, because that is what we are commanded to do. It is not easy, but it is important. It helps to take our focus off of what WE can do and put it onto what GOD can do.

God speaks to us in many ways, but sometimes and in some circumstances, he wants us to speak back. He is waiting to hear from us in prayer and through thankfulness for ALL circumstances. Take this Thanksgiving holiday to speak back to God and thank HIm
for ALL things!  
Nick Dykeman

No comments:

Post a Comment