Translate

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

GOD SPEAKS THROUGH MUSIC



Kari Farnell
Today I have two questions for you. The first is, what is your favorite song? The second question, why is it your favorite or what do you like most about that particular song?


A lot of songs have a really catchy beat or certain instrumentation that really draws your attention. My husband can pick out the instrumentation and different beats in songs much more easily than I can. I tend to hear the “whole” song, but he can pick out those separate pieces.  


I grew up in a musical family. My grandmother could play the guitar AND harmonica at the same time. She could sing alto in the choir with the best of them. She also played a little bit on the piano. My mother played the piano from a very early age, as did I. At the age of six I began to sing with my Mom at various hymn sings and church events. She and I both have spent time as organists, pianists, and choir directors. Eventually my sister joined our little group and as my own children grew, they sang with me and our little group as well. In choosing music for us to sing, as well as for the choirs she directed, my mother would focus mainly on one thing. The WORDS. Sure the melody had to be a nice tune and the song had to be within the skill of the singers, but more important than that was the message that was being given...the words of the songs. 


Throughout history, the words in songs have been used to encourage people. Think of all of the military songs that encourage our troops. There is a different one for each branch of the military. There are words in songs that speak of romance and love, and others that share the raw emotions of the writer. When playing the organ in church, there are times that I get a little teary-eyed thinking of the words of a particular hymn. For many, the words for “In the Garden” are very meaningful. They paint a picture of rising early and meeting Jesus and then taking a walk with Him as a close friend. If you consider even the short chorus of “His Name is Wonderful”, it speaks volumes. “Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim. In the light of His glory and grace “.
It is amazing how God has chosen the writers of music to speak His words to people. Even today’s modern Christian songwriters are proclaiming the words of God through their music. Although it may be to a different and unfamiliar tune, the words of God are still there. In particular, I think of a new song I’ve heard lately by a group called “We the Kingdom”. Their song “Holy Water” has some very powerful words. The chorus states, “Your forgiveness Is like sweet, sweet honey on my lips. Like the sound of a symphony to my ears. Like Holy water on my skin.” Listen to it here.

One of the songs by Casting Crowns that has touched me is “Praise You in This Storm”, whose chorus is as follows: “And I'll praise you in this storm. And I will lift my hands, that you are who you are, no matter where I am. And every tear I've cried You hold in your hand. You never left my side. And though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm”. This song backs up one of my favorite verses in the Bible about giving thanks in all circumstances. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." I will praise you in this storm; in the middle of these trials. Listen to this song here.


Lauren Daigle is a modern artist with several songs that have meaningful words. One of these is the song “You Say” The chorus goes like this, “You say I am loved when I can't feel a thing. You say I am strong when I think I am weak. And you say I am held when I am falling short. And when I don't belong, oh You say I am Yours. And I believe, Oh I believe, What You say of me, I believe.” Hear her song here.


I encourage you to listen to several of these artists if you don’t already. They may provide you with some much-needed words from God. In my opinion, God may have inspired the words to some of the songs the artists write and sing just as He did the writers of the Scriptures. No I’m not saying they are Scripture, but they can still be inspired by God. May God speak to you through one of these songs today.

Here is a list of some of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment