Translate

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

God Speaks Now and Then

In the last post, I alluded to more words that God uses, including a four-letter word. This time, we will focus on the words "now" and "then" (the 4-letter word 😉).  The last post talked about two small words "but" and "yet" and how they were used often to re-write or change and contrast the entire meaning of a sentence or thought.  The words THEN and NOW cause similar changes in sentences.  Then and now can be thought of as words of action and words that propel the situation along. Let's take a look at some Scripture to see just how they are used by God. THEN often signifies a change in behavior or follows an action.

Ezekiel 18:30b says "Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall."
Once we choose (there's that word again) to turn away, then sin will not be the downfall.

Proverbs 1:23--"Repent at my rebuke! Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
I will make known to you my teachings."
  
Once we choose to repent, then God acts.....

Photo by Ross Findon on Unsplash
Amos 5:14 is another example--"Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is."
We choose to seek good, then the Lord.....

2 Chronicles 7:14--"
If my own people will humbly pray and turn back to me and stop sinning, then I will answer them from heaven. I will forgive them and make their land fertile once again."
Choose to follow the commands at the start of this verse, then God answers....

After God speaks or moves, or acts, we then have a response. The word NOW often denotes that action has taken place and this is the result of our action. 

Romans 8:1--"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." God's action/reaction to our choice to follow Him is that NOW there is no eternal condemnation.

2 Timothy 4:7-8--"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day." Again, God's action/reaction to our finishing the race He has prepared for us is the reward of Heaven if we believe and follow Him.

I must give credit where credit is due for these last two blog posts. My husband brought up the verse I am going to list below.  It was a verse he had used and expounded upon in a sermon before and he was sharing it again with someone the other day. 
Photo by Ross Findon on Unsplash

  
Daniel 1:8-9--"But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and  wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this  way. Now God had caused the official to show favor and compassion to Daniel".  This verse uses a couple of our new little words. In this verse we see a couple  things. We see action on the part of both Daniel and God. 

But Daniel chooses to not eat the King's food. He chooses to obey the commands of God. Now God acts upon that decision to obey.  But Daniel...Now God....

 Hopefully as you search the Scriptures on your own, you will notice these small   words and what an impact they have on the context of the verses. Above all, it seems we must make decisions and it is on those decisions that God acts or doesn't act. Yes, God created us and loves us and desires nothing but good for us, BUT (contrast coming) He may not choose to bless us until we choose to obey Him.
Photo by Nothing Ahead from Pexels

No comments:

Post a Comment