Translate

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

God Speaks Routine

Have you developed a certain routine? Do you have any habits?


A routine is defined as: a sequence of actions regularly followed; a fixed program. A habit is defined as: an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary. So it seems that a habit is nothing more than a routine that has been put to memory. 
We all know there can be both good and bad habits and I believe they are obtained through good and bad routines. 

Good routines are very important in our lives. They can help us live better, healthier, and more fulfilled lives. Routines that turn into habits are even better because you don't even have to think about or plan for them; you just do them. Bad routines, which later become bad habits, are detrimental to our lives and can bring about pain, sorrow, sickness, and mental anguish. 


Recently I heard of someone who took a family member with dementia on a several-day trip. By the end of the trip, the family member was really having difficulty because they were extremely out of their typical routine and habit.  It was unsettling for them. Think for yourself how unsettled you might be if your daily routine gets changed.  I know for myself, I wake up, shower, teeth, get dressed, put lunch in my lunchbox, make my Choffy drink and take my medications.  If there is anything that causes me to miss a step or that complicates this routine, it really throws me off for a good portion of the day.

The last several pastors that have served the church where I worship have all attempted to build certain routines into the congregants so that they become habits. Among them are Bible reading, prayer, and Christian fellowship.  These are vital routines for the life of a Christian.  Consistent prayer and Bible reading help us to remember to seek God for all of our concerns and joys. Consistently reading Scripture helps to keep us in line with God's will and His desires for our life.  Consistent Christian fellowship helps us to see God working in and through others.  I must admit that I STRUGGLE with these things myself, especially being consistent in Bible reading and prayer.  I do receive a Scripture in my email that I read everyday, but often find little time to study the Bible. I pray every morning on my way to work, but often "forget" throughout the rest of the day and weekends (when I'm out of my routine).  Summers are especially bad!  I am usually way out of routine and habit by then and often don't do more than read my daily Bible verse. The lack of blog posts through the summer can attest to that as well. 


If we search the Scriptures, we can find God's thoughts about certain routines and habits.

Psalm 119:56--"You have blessed me because I have always followed your teachings." The writer here states he is blessed by ALWAYS following God's teachings.

Luke 5:16--"Jesus repeatedly left the crowds, though, stealing away into the wilderness to pray."  Even Jesus, Who is God, knew the need to consistently get away and pray.

Luke 4:16--"When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on Saturday, and stood up to read the Scriptures."  Jesus also knew the importance of meeting on the Sabbath.

Acts 2:46--"They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God."  The disciples followed the lead of Jesus and continued in their daily routine.

The Scriptures are clear about bad habits and routines as well.

Here is a very direct and to the point Scripture.  Hebrews 10:25--"Some people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord’s coming is getting closer."

Jeremiah 22:21--"When times were good, I warned you. But you ignored me, just as you have done since Israel was young."

God desires to have communication and fellowship with us through prayer, Bible reading, and gathering with other Christians. Let us ALL strive to develop these good routines and habits!



No comments:

Post a Comment