Translate

Monday, June 28, 2021

God Speaks and Cares About the Future

The Future! I don't know about you, but whenever I think about that phrase, I can hear a garbled voice echoing those words over and over.  Maybe it is from a movie or TV show that I can't remember or just something dumb my mind has come up with. Whatever the case, thinking about the future often comes with much apprehension and even some scariness. 

Matthew 6:34--"So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time."

At the end of the past three school years (2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2020-2021), I have turned in my end of the year papers, badges, keys, etc. with expectations of going back to that same position in the Fall. God has always had different plans it seems. In August 2019, I was asked by that employer to work part-time instead of full-time. Since I need a full-time job to be able to help pay the bills, I had to search elsewhere. By God's grace, a position had just become open at a school system five minutes from my house. I worked there enthusiastically until March 2020, when CoVid hit. Even then, I continued to work outside my job description and contracted dates by helping with the Food Program there. It certainly was a time of great need for food as the students and their families were unable to get the food they typically did from the schools or from the grocery stores at first. Once I turned in my keys and badge, I had full expectations of returning IF schools were going to be open. Almost like deja vu, in August 2020, I was informed that I (along with 80 some others) were going to be laid off.  Again, by God's grace, I happened upon a new position opening. Although we went 6 weeks without a second income, God provided. Even though my current salary is 30% less than at my previous employment, God still provides. 

Psalm 94:19--"And when I was burdened with worries, you comforted me and made me feel secure

As I turned in my badge this year, I was met with a little apprehension. With the last two years in mind, who knows what will happen before the end of August. Two things I know are that God holds the future and He will provide. 

Luke 12:22-25--"(then, to His disciples) This is why I keep telling you not to worry about anything in life—about what you’ll eat, about how you’ll clothe your body. Life is more than food, and the body is more than fancy clothes. Think about those crows flying over there: do they plant and harvest crops? Do they own silos or barns? Look at them fly. It looks like God is taking pretty good care of them, doesn’t it? Remember that you are more precious to God than birds! Which one of you can add a single hour to your life or 18 inches[a] to your height by worrying really hard?"

God does not want us to worry about the future. For those who believe, He has us in His hands and will guide and direct our paths. God wants for all to trust and believe in Him!  Sometimes we are apprehensive about even our distant future. Sometimes we are confronted, not just with year to year questions, but questions about when we get old, when our parents get old, when our kids get old, when the grandchildren get old, and sometimes even when we leave this earth.  God does not want us to worry about any of those things either. Because we live in a broken world, there is no guarantee about the future for any of us. I wish I could tell you that trusting in God will bring bright and cheery sunshine rays to you for the rest of your life, but that is not the case. What I can guarantee is that for those that believe in God, once we leave this earth, it will be bright and cheery sunshine rays forever after. 

Jeremiah 29:11--"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

I also know that God will provide for our futures here on earth. Even when faced with an uncertain future, God will provide for those that love Him. His provision may not always be the way WE think it should be and we may not always see a way out or a purpose to what is happening, but God knows, God has His hand in it, and God will provide!

Philippians 4:19--"And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus."


No comments:

Post a Comment